The National Testing Agency (NTA) has been entrusted by the University Grants Commission (UGC) with the task of conducting UGC-NET, which is a test to determine the eligibility of Indian nationals for ‘Assistant Professor’ and ‘Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor’ in Indian universities and colleges.
Join Our Job Notification Groups
Register For Daily Success Alerts
- Join Our Telegram Group For Notifications
- Join Our Whatsapp Group For Notifications
- Join Our Facebook Group For Notifications
About University Grants Commission (UGC)
The University Grant Commission (UGC), is a Statuary Body of Government of India, Ministry of Education, Department of Higher Education, constituted under the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956), vested with two responsibilities: that of providing funds and that of coordination, determination and maintenance of standards in institutions of higher education.
About University Grants Commission – National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET)
- UGC-NET is a test to determine the eligibility of Indian nationals for ‘Assistant Professor’ and ‘Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor’ in Indian universities and colleges.
- The selection of candidates for the following Fellowships of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and the Ministry of Minorities Affairs is also made through the UGC-NET:
- National Fellowship for Scheduled Caste Students (NFSC)
- National Fellowship for Other Backward Classes (NFOBC)
- Maulana Azad National Fellowship for Minority Students (MANF)
- UGC-NET is conducted twice every year.
NET Full Form
You may know that the Full Form of NET is the National Eligibility Test. It is conducted by UGC twice a year to shortlist the candidates for Awarding of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and/ or Eligibility for Assistant Professorship.
|Opening Date for Registration of Online Form||29 December 2022|
|Last Date for Registration of Online Form||23 January 2023|
|Last Date for Payment of Examination Fee||23 January 2023|
|Correction in the Particulars of Application Form Online only||19 to 20 January 2023|
|Dates of Examination||21 February 2023 to 10 March 2023|
|Duration of Examination||180 minutes (03 hours)|
No break between Paper 1 & Paper2
|Timing of Examination||First Shift: 09.00 am to 12.00 pm & Second Shift: 03.00 pm to 06.00 pm|
- General/Unreserved/General-EWS Candidates must have scored a minimum of 55% marks in post-graduation (master’s degree) in the concerned subject or any equivalent exam from UGC recognized institute or university.
- Candidates who belong to the Non-creamy layer, or, Scheduled Caste (SC), or, Scheduled Tribe (ST), or, Persons with disability (PwD) and who have scored a minimum of 50% marks in post-graduation (master’s degree) in the concerned subject or any equivalent exam from UGC recognized institute or university can appear for this exam.
- Final year candidates who are pursuing their post-graduation course or who have appeared for the exam of their qualifying PG course & are awaiting the result are eligible to apply for this exam. However, only provisional allotment will be granted to such candidates, and eligibility for Assistant Professor or the JRF will be granted to such candidates only when they have completed their post-graduation course with the required UGC NET eligibility criteria. The course must be completed within a time duration of 2 years from the NET result date.
- Candidates Belonging to the Transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET (for both Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor) as available to SC/ST/PwD categories. The subject-wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in their relevant subject.
- Ph.D. degree holders whose master’s level examination has been completed by 19th September 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) are eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50% for General Candidates). Candidates who have qualified as CA or CS or ICWA can appear for the UGC NET exam.
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria based on Educational Qualification for Foreign Candidates having the following degree/certificates such as Post-graduate diploma, Certificate awarded by Indian University, Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign university ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/ with master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi.
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria based on Educational Qualification for National Fellowship, UGC has revised the National Fellowship criteria. SC students are applicable for National Fellowship based on the merit of each UGC-NET-JRF or CSIR-NET-JRF examination.
Candidates are not required to send any document in support of their net eligibility or print out their application form to the National Testing Agency/ UGC. But, in their interest, the candidates must be sure about the NET criteria for the test. If the agency detects any ineligibility at any stage, their candidature shall be liable to stand to cancel, and legal action can be taken per the guidelines.
Candidates are directed to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. Candidates applying for the NET exam whose Post Graduation subject is not covered in the list of NET subjects may appear in a related subject. It is one of the important net eligibility criteria.
- JRF: Not more than 31 years as on 1st day of the month in which the examination is concluded
- Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit in applying for UGC-NET for Assistant Professor.
How to Apply
- Step-1: Apply for Online Registration using own Email Id and Mobile No.
- Step-2: Fill in the Online Application Form and note down the system generated Application Number. Upload scanned images of: (i) the recent photograph (file size 10Kb – 200Kb) either in colour or black & white with 80% face (without mask) visible including ears against white background; (ii) candidate’s signature (file size: 4kb – 30kb)
- Step-3: Pay fee using SBI/ CANARA/ ICICI/ HDFC Bank/Debit Card/Credit Card/UPI and keep proof of fee paid.
All the 3 Steps can be done together or at separate timings. The submission of Application of a candidate could be considered as successful and his/her candidature would be confirmed only on the successful transaction/receipt of the prescribed application fee from him/her.
Scheme of Examination
- Mode of Examination – The Examination shall be conducted in Computer Based Test (CBT) mode only.
- The medium of Question Paper shall be in English & Hindi only.
Pattern of Examination
The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of objective type, multiple choice questions. There will be no break between papers.
|Paper||Marks||Number of Questions||MCQ||Total duration|
|I||100||50||The questions in Paper I intends to|
assess the teaching/ research aptitude of the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, reading comprehension, divergent thinkingand general awareness of the
|03 hours (180 minutes)|
break. All the
|II||200||100||This is based on the subject selected by the candidate and will assess domain knowledge|
List of Subjects and their Codes
|Download Admit Card||Click Here|
|Check Exam Date / City||Click Here|
|Download Phase III Subject Wise Schedule Notice||Click Here|
|Download Phase II Subject Wise Schedule Notice||Click Here|
|Download Phase I Subject Wise Schedule Notice||Click Here|
|Apply Online||Click Here|
|Date Extended Notice||Click Here|
|Download Information Bulletin||Click Here|
|Download Syllabus||Click Here|
|Official Website||Click Here|