Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is a central sector scheme under the Department of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Government Of India. which provides income support to the farmers and their families. PM-KISAN scheme was first implemented as the Rythu Bandhu scheme by the Government of Telangana where a certain amount was handed directly to the eligible farmers. Later, on 1 February 2019, during the 2019 Interim Union Budget of India, Piyush Goyal announced the implementation of this scheme as a nationwide project.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the PM-KISAN scheme on 24 February 2019 in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh. Under this scheme, all small and marginal farmers will be provided with income support of Rs.6,000 per year in three instalments which will be deposited directly to their bank accounts. The total annual expenditure for this scheme is expected to be Rs.75,000 crore has been kept in the financial year
2019-20 which will be financed by the Union Government.
About PM Kisan Yojana – Key Features of Scheme
The highlights of the PM-KISAN scheme are given in the table below:
|Name of the scheme||PM-KISAN Yojana|
|Full-Form||Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana|
|Date of launch||24th February 2019|
|Government Ministry||Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare|
Objectives of PM-KISAN scheme
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana is implemented as a central sector scheme by the Government of India. This scheme was introduced to augment the source of income of many small and marginal farmers. The main objectives of the PM-KISAN scheme are mentioned below:
- The PM-KISAN scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the SMFs in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income at the end of the each crop cycle.
- This would also protect them from falling in the clutches of moneylenders for meeting
such expenses and ensure their continuance in the farming activities.
- The scheme is expected to increase the coverage of PM-KISAN to around 14.5 crore beneficiaries. It aims to cover around 2 crores more farmers with an estimated expenditure of Rs. 87,217.50 crores that will be funded by the Central Government.
Definition of Families
The SMFs landholder farmer family is defined as “a family comprising of husband, wife and minor children who collectively own cultivable land upto 2 hectare as per land records of the concerned State/UT”.
Eligibility to avail benefits under PM-KISAN scheme
Any small or marginal farmer should not fall under the following criteria to be eligible under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana. Below are some of the categories of beneficiaries who are not eligible for benefit under this scheme:
- All Institutional Land holders.
- Farmer families which belong to one or more of the following categories:.
- Former and present holders of constitutional posts
- Former and present Ministers/ State Ministers and former/present Members of Lok Sabha/ Rajya Sabha/ State Legislative Assemblies/ State Legislative Councils, former and present Mayors of Municipal Corporations, former and present Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- All serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries /Offices /Departments and its field units Central or State PSEs and Attached offices /Autonomous Institutions under Government as well as regular employees of the Local Bodies (Excluding Multi Tasking Staff /Class IV/Group D employees)
- All superannuated/retired pensioners whose monthly pension is Rs.10,000/-or more (Excluding Multi Tasking Staff / Class IV/Group D employees) of above category
- All Persons who paid Income Tax in last assessment year
- Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with Professional bodies and carrying out profession by undertaking practices.
The farmers eligible under the scheme are required to produce the below-mentioned documents for their verification:
- Citizenship certificate
- Landholding papers
- Aadhaar card
- Bank account details
PM-Kisan Portal for implementation of the scheme
- Beneficiaries under the scheme are to be identified by the respective State and Union Territory. The details of farmers are being maintained by the States / UTs either in electronic form or in manual register. To make integrated platform available in the country to assist in benefit transfer, a platform named PM-Kisan Portal available at URL (http://pmkisan.gov.in) has been be launched for uploading the farmers’ details at a single web-portal in a uniform structure.
- The PM-Kisan Portal has been created with the following objectives –
i) To provide verified and single source of truth on farmers’ details at the portal.
ii) Timely assistance to the farmers in farm operation
iii) A unified e-platform for transferring of cash benefits into farmer’s bank account
through Public Financial Management System (PFMS) integration.
iv) Location wise availability of benefited farmers’ list.
v) Ease of monitoring across the country on fund transaction details.
PM-Kisan Portal :
The following farmer attributes need to be entered in the Portal:
Farmer Attributes: (Essential):
State, District, Sub-District/Block, Village, Farmer Name, Type of Identity – Aadhaar Number and in case Aadhaar not available, Aadhaar enrollment number with any other ID proof like Voter ID etc, Gender, Category, IFSC Code, Bank Account Number.
Farmer Attributes (Optional):
Father name, Address, Mobile Number, Date of Birth/Age, Farm-Size in Hectare,
Survey Number, Khasra Number
Optional attributes such as Mobile number can be utilized for SMS alerts. Other
optional attributes may be used for purpose of future requirement. However,
these attributes are not essential for purpose of transfer of money.
|Register PM – Kisan Portal||Click Here|
|Download Information||Click Here|
|Official Website||Click Here|